Monday, April 20, 2009

Letting go of Regret

I don't have many regrets in my life. I've tried very hard to be at peace with my decisions, right in the moment that they are made. And I firmly believe that each situation leads you in the direction you need to go to realize your greatest dreams. That being said, I do wonder if there will be opportunities in my future to right the wrongs I have committed. Will I get the chance to say the things I didn't say, and allow myself to forgive, and to be forgiven?

I ask my inner guidance these questions, and I can feel the answers. I know I will get the chance to make things right again. In my small handful of regrets, I will be redeemed.

Is there anything in your life that you feel you cannot make peace with? Do you think we hang on to certain situations for a reason? Perhaps we feel that we cannot be forgiven, perhaps the mistakes we made were too big to let go of. But can we give ourselves a chance to let go, and be free of the pain? I don't know about you, but I'd like to try.

I am making a pledge to myself to create the opportunities to right these wrongs. I am now looking for the opportunity to be healed from these events. I am ready to begin the process of letting go.

4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking on this subject a lot lately... one of the things that I have come to believe is that we need to make peace with decisions/actions we have made in order to move on with our lives and not flounder in the past. Sometimes, I think, making peace just means accepting that we/or someone else has made a mistake and to try and learn from that mistake to not let it happen again... Other times it requires a bit more effort and thought and trying to right the wrong, but also to learn from the mistake and not let it happen again.

    There are a lot of things that have happened in my life, which at the time I thought were mistakes, but I have since grown and learned that they were not really "mistakes" more of a lesson in life or a change in my destiny... sometimes things which seemed very wrong at the time have turned out to be very good in hindsight...

    Sorry for the rambling, as I mentioned I have been thinking on this subject a lot lately... my thoughts are still a bit jumbled but I think it is an important part of being happy and growing as a person, to be able to live with our decisions and let the past go.

    Have I mentioned that I love your blog?! It is like going to a discussion group on spiritual well-being, thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi coast to north :o)

    I think your thoughts are quite clear on regrets and mistakes, and I completely agree that it is so important to be able to let go of the past.

    I find that sometimes when I look back, it's like looking in on someone else's life. I feel that yesterday I was a completely different person: younger, more naive, and a little bit blind to the big picture! I wonder how I'll look back on this particular year ...

    I am so glad you enjoy my blog! I really love writing it, so it's so nice for me to get feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nicole,

    "Do you think we hang on to certain situations for a reason?"

    I think we hang on because we are in pain, we are like a bird with a broken wing. We just have to rest for a while and let it be, however long it takes. When we get our strength back, we can begin to move around and test our wings again and keep going. Getting our strength back takes compassion for ourselves and the other parties involved.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miruh!

    So, perhaps regret is like an incubation period for something new about to be born in us.

    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete